Inauguration Week April 7-15, 2012
Would you like to be part of the University of Detroit Mercy’s history by participating in Dr. Garibaldi’s inauguration?*
Click on the community engagement opportunities listed below to volunteer your time!
Over the years gifted faculty, competent staff, accomplished alumni and promising students have been engaged in the community on an ongoing basis and have provided hundreds of thousands of hours of service to our community partners. Now, comes a unique opportunity for the entire UDM Community to join in the celebration of Dr. Garibaldi’s inauguration by participating in Community Engagement Activities the week of April 9th.
Together, we're a community of competence, influence and compassion that extends beyond the campus borders.
We've gathered a list of service opportunities in need of volunteers from our partner agencies, where UDM alumni serve as board members, staff, benefactors, and volunteers, and assured them that UDM can be counted on to support them in a big way. Can you take a few hours to volunteer as a UDM community partner?
There is a wide range of opportunities at 9 of our ongoing partner non-profits and some can accommodate your entire family. Below find many opportunities that will give you a chance to renew acquaintances, meet current students, fill a service need and demonstrate UDM's ongoing commitment to service.
Let's celebrate Dr. Garibaldi’s inauguration by demonstrating UDM’s community engagement commitment in a big way!
- Gleaners Community Foodbank - April 9 - Volunteers will have an opportunity to participate in several activities including preparing materials for the National Letter Carriers Food Drive and making a bowl for the empty bowl program.
- Gesu Parish and School - April 10 - Help prepare Gesu Community Green as a safe and secure community playground for the neighborhood children. This is a "rain or shine" outside project.
- Capuchin Ministries - April 9, 10 and 11 - Help at Connor Kitchen and serve the lunch meal and clean-up after. Assist in the service center operation by assisting guests or help prepare the Earthworks Urban Farm garden.
- Vista Maria - April 9, 10 and 11 - Help prep, paint and stock "Vista Boutique." Every girl needs a place to shop!
- Lighthouse of Oakland County (PATH) - April 11 - Come help paint an apartment for someone in need of housing, and if you see anything that needs replacing that you can help with, your donation would be greatly appreciated.
- Coalitions on Temporary Shelter (COTS) - April 11 - Help to prepare and serve breakfast, lunch or dinner to homeless men, women and children.
- South Oakland Shelter (SOS) - April 10 - Show a caring attitude by actively interfacing with the clients who need some guidance, a game of cards, or someone to listen.
- Campus Kitchen - April 7 -The student leaders could use help packing and delivering food on Holy Saturday to families in need.
- APO (Alpha Phi Omega, a UDM Service Fraternity) Sandwich Bus - April 15 - Get on the Sandwich Bus and help make and distribute sandwiches to the homeless.
- Assign me where I am needed most - We are looking for alumni who have flexible schedules and can be available to help where most needed. Please email email@example.com.
*Faculty, Staff, and Administrators: Dr. Garibaldi has authorized up to 24 hours of work release time for all university employees to participate in service opportunities . You must obtain supervisor approval.